Thursday, April 11, 2013

Dogs...Hmmmmm

The girls have begun pestering DH about wanting a dog. They had a good go at him on Shabbat. To the point where he said, "We have a lot of work coming up what with the move and getting settled and all. Let's get through that and talk again." Does that sound like a "maybe" to you?

Then this morning he came to me and whispered that the upstairs neighbor lady's daughter had found a German Shepherd and they were looking for a home for it. He said he was thinking of going to look at it just so he could say "Nah!" LOL

We had a quick whispered talk about it in the kitchen. I said I would tend not to go for a purebred. Plenty of mutts waiting for homes without breeding more. German Shepherds have genetic problems with their back legs and also since E is afraid of dogs probably best not to get a large one like that. If we ever got a dog and if the girls intend walking it, it needs to be a size that they can control on a leash. Also smaller dogs eat less and can get enough exercise in an apartment.

I have very mixed feelings about getting a dog. IF we ever did, I'm saying. Nice in theory but....they are a lot of work as well. I definitely would NOT get a puppy. I do not have time or energy to deal with housebreaking and getting my possessions chewed up. I do NOT have time to walk anything in the mornings. And thinking of having to walk it in the cold and rain and get up early on Shabbatot to walk it and up and down 4 flights of stairs on Shabbat.....Am I nuts?

The plus side could be that it would afford the kids hours of endless fun with no effort from me. Yeah. But it could also just add to the existing chaos in our house.

Can you tell I'm of two minds? I guess like DH says best to get through the move and then think again.

4 comments:

  1. We recently adopted an orphaned Hungarian hunting dog. (We do not hunt, it is just the breed). For a long time I was really undecided over the dog question until we found Stanley. He won my heart. (You can see pictures of him on my blog).
    If you want an "easy" and good with kids dog, I would do some research on characteristics of different breeds. Toy poodles are smart and can be easily kept in flats (no stray hairs), whereas Golden Retrievers and Labradors are particularly good with kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took a look at your blog and after using Google translate was able to understand it. Very nice blog! Where are you from? It looks like you travel a lot? Stanley looks like one sweet dog. I do love dogs but don't know that I'm ready for the amount of work they demand. Stanley's BIG! If it were up to me and we did get a dog, I would prefer a larger one as usually they seem calmer to me but like I said, my 4 year old is scared of dogs and the girls need a dog who isn't going to run away with them on walks - one they can control. To be continued.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. To tell you the truth, I would never get a dog if I lived in an apartment. I love my animals, and you know I have a bunch of them *smile*, but they are all out of doors. Indoors, all I can contemplate is an aquarium... and of course chicks when they are small and need to be kept warm.

    Completely agree with you regarding the puppy/vs. adult dog. Stuff is almost a year old now but still acts very puppyish and just ruined one of my best tunics a couple of days ago. So annoying. If I go to feed her on Shabbat, I have to change into one of my "mud skirts" so that my Shabbat clothes won't be ruined.

    ReplyDelete