Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A Little of This and a Little of That

Yesterday was CRAZY!

First of all, T called me up on Sunday and asked me to pick her up from school so she could sleep at home which meant getting up at 6 am yesterday and leaving the house with her by 7 am with E in tow. Got her to school nice and early but then on the way back hit horrific morning work traffic. It took me almost an HOUR to get back into Rehovot when normally it's a 20 minute drive. Whatever. On the way back home, E started screaming so I ended up giving him my cell phone to play with. Always cheers him up. Threw him Dropped him at gan (day care) and raced home to find that I was....cellphoneless. I called the gannenet (his day care caretaker) and asked her if she'd seen my cell phone on or around E. While I was on the line with her, I phoned my cell from our other line. She said she heard it ringing and mobilized all the other 2 year olds to help her search for it. In the end they found it on him. GUESS WHERE. In lieu of a pocket, he'd shoved it down his pant leg!! Tha-a-a-a-t's m'boy!

As a result of the above, got to work FORTY MINUTES LATE. Yikes! No one said anything but I'm not happy about that. Doesn't look good. And then to top it off I got to work and looked at my calendar to find that I had a dr. appointment at 14:00 that I'd completely forgotten about so I had to leave (again) in the middle of the day to go to that. Luckily I was back in the office within about 50 minutes. Lo norAH (transl: "not terrible").

When I got home from work, DH was up to his ears in urgent work so I scooped up the kids and ran out with them to take care of some little annoying errands - pick up a book that someone agreed to loan me, pick up some maternity clothes that I'd loaned to a friend and also went and bought some new bras - 6 for 100 NIS (approx. $26)!! Even DH was impressed at that. So that was a little pick-me-up.

And back, by popular request......pancakes for dinner last night. E promptly ripped his up into little bits and started FLINGING them all over the living room. Sigh. I'm telling you. When I say the kid should be in the World Series.....What a pitch!!

Since a day or two ago, I am no longer bored at work. Things have picked up dramatically and it's MUCH better. I don't spend the day counting seconds and the time flies by. This of course leaves less time for blogging. I'm just sayin'.....

Yesterday I booked tickets for me and Y to go see Spirit of the Dance in Tel Aviv on the 24th. Looking forward to that. I think she needs some alone time with me. She doesn't NEED any more material possessions so when an opporunity to take her to a cultural event like Spirit of the Dance came up we decided I would take her using her gift money that has accumulated in her bank from birthdays/Chanukah, etc. In the interests of the pocketbook, DH is staying home to babysit. :-(

When I was in the US in October, I got a nasty shock. I found out that a very good childhood friend of mine is in prison. He has to be in for FIFTEEN years (it's been two)!! I had had a bad feeling about him for a long time b/c I had searched for him on FB. All of his 4 brothers are on FB - he isn't. I've also Googled his name. Nothing. I've looked at his brothers' photos on FB and he isn't in any of them. So while I was in the Bay Area I met up with his mother for a few hours and she told me. I knew something was wrong but wasn't expecting THAT. I was so shocked I couldn't even bring myself to ask, "Why? How? What happened?" And even if I knew what he'd done it's not going to change anything or make me feel any better so does it really matter what he did? It's really sad and painful for me to think about so I can't even begin to imagine how painful it must be for her and the rest of the family although she seemed surprisingly positive about it. (Though I'm sure SHE must have gone through the whole gammut of emotions over the past 2 years that he's been in.) I had to phone his mother the other night to get her mailing address so asked how he is doing. She told me a little more about his circumstances but still no mention of WHY. I'd phoned her cell phone and she said she and her husband were driving down to AZ to visit him and that he's doing well under the circumstances. I asked if he's allowed to receive mail. She said yes and gave me his mailing address and seemed pleased that I'd offered to write him. But what does one write to someone in prison? How's the food? Been out for exercise today? I've started a letter to him and hope to get it sent off by the end of the week. I guess all I can do is fill him in on my life and hope he finds it a teeny bit interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment