Thursday, January 13, 2011

They're Growing Up!

Yesterday, DH came to eat lunch with me at work at the restaurant downstairs. He left me and raced to E's gan to pick him up at 13:15 (that's ONE FIFTEEN in the AFTERNOON for the military time impaired). DH called me from the gan and said, "We're standing outside the gan. You know how when all the children leave the gannenet (daycare teacher) tells the kids 'lehitraot' (trans.: 'see you later')? So E learned to say 'lehitraot'!" Then DH put E on the phone with me and told E to say it so I heard, "EE-OHHH-T!" with a little sing-song to it just like the gannenet does. Too cute!

****************

Y is still in the process of learning to read and is catching on fast to sounding out words that include even the vowel markings that she hasn't learned yet. Every week her school sends her home with a book from the library and I suggested she start trying to read these books herself before she goes to sleep at night rather than ME reading them to her which I did for a while. Last night, as a sleep delay tactic that I couldn't argue with, she took the latest book with her to bed and was up until at least 21:20 (that's NINE TWENTY at NIGHT) reading it. Very exciting! She was so proud of herself as I was of her and it reminded me of our TV-free years as kids when we'd read ourselves to sleep in bed every night. I hope she continues to love to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment