Thursday, January 6, 2011

Snippets

Last night I went to 'visit' (a euphemism for helping her with whatever she needs - cooking, cleaning, shopping) my Mom. She lives about 1/2 an hour's drive from us. Sometimes I take the two younger kids but last night I left the kids with DH and went alone. Last night's project was to take these 6 LARGE (but artificial) ficus trees that she has around the apartment as.....'decoration'? 'camouflage'?.....whatever.....into her bathroom and hose them down to clean them of dust. Of which there is an abundance in this country. I should know. I have a well-developed allergy to the stuff which was 'born' after I moved here. After that we ate a modest dinner followed by HOMEMADE toffee ice cream. YUM! We then retired to the drawingroom  computer where I downloaded Google Earth for her and we spent a nice hour flying around the world looking at locations and addresses meaningful to us without even having to leave our chairs. That program is addicting!

When I left Mom's last night it was raining the whole way home and from the looks of it it rained pretty much all night although by this morning the sun was out and shining coldly and brightly making all the raindrop diamonds on the cars, leaves, etc. twinkle blindingly. Hurrah for rain! Thank you G-d! We sure need it.

Late last night I saw a post on our local email message board that someone was advertising a 5-room (i.e. 4 bedroom) apartment for sale not far from us. DH went to look at it today but a) out of our price range (figures) and b) only 7 meters bigger than the 3 bedroom apt. we have now. Also located in not such a quiet location and QUIET is what I need right now so......not worth pursuing.

My DD14 is coming home from boarding school for the weekend today. Her school is only 20 minutes south of where we live which is really convenient. She has a couple of appointments - dentist, etc. - tonight so I will be tied up this evening playing chauffeur.

Starting this week and continuing through the summer, we actually have a stream - or what amounts to a stream for us - of friends and family coming to Israel which gives me something to look forward to:

1) My step-mom's son and his wife are coming this week. The wife is coming because the company she works for is based in Israel a few blocks from where I work, actually, and she's coming on business. Her husband is along for the ride and will be the one with time on his hands and we have to see how much time we have to play tour guide and also how much time he actually has and what he wants to accomplish/see while he's here.

2) Next month my good friend A from NJ is coming with her husband and newly adopted 4- year-old daughter from Ethiopia. I stayed with them on my recent trip to the US in October so it hasn't been THAT long since I saw them but still nice they're coming. They'll be staying in Rehovot where we live since her grandmother is in the old age home here and her uncle and cousins live here too.

3) Also at the end of February, I have a good friend from South Africa who I met online who is making aliyah with her family of 5. Can't wait to meet them in person finally!

4) And finally, an old roommate of mine from the year I lived in NY when I was 18 is coming with her three teenage boys for 2 months this summer! I also met up with her in NJ in October but it will be great if we can actually meet up here and hang.

So what to ask all these friends from the US to bring me?? Hmmm. The first thing that springs to mind is...drum roll.....Baco Bits. I've never seen them here. We all like them on baked potatoes with sour cream. The only way to eat a baked potato, if you ask me. And books. O, do I ever miss being able to browse for hours in a nice, huge bookstore like Borders Books or Barnes and Noble! I can order stuff online, of course, but it's not the same as walking in and being able to handle the books, peruse, skip read and letting the 'spirit' direct one to the right book. When ordering online, you have to have a specific title in mind OR base your decision on the posted reviews of the books in a subject category.

Ever heard of a fashion fast? Where you don't buy a single, solitary item of clothing (except for a whole year in the interests of (mainly) one's pocketbook? I saw a blurb about this on TV last week and have been mulling over the idea. I think it would be a good exercise for me since I ADORE clothes shopping and even though most of what I buy is 2nd hand and costs next to nothing I still bring home more than one person ever needs. But do I have the will power? THAT is the question.

I am so bored at work it's not even funny. It's exhausting having to keep inventing things to make myself look busy and to pass the time. I've told my boss three times that I'm free and would love if someone would give me something to do. I don't feel I can tell her yet again. They might start to wonder if they really need me.

Yesterday I started feeling like I was getting sick again - scratchy throat. I took a dose of oregano oil this morning in the hopes those fumes will chase whatever I'm getting away. And I'm doctoring myself at work with loads of tea and honey. I CAN'T GET SICK AGAIN! Too much important stuff happening next week....

No comments:

Post a Comment