Sunday, November 6, 2011

A Blur

HOW do the days fly by so fast with not even a minute to myself to sit down and put my thoughts to.....well, blog? The world seems to be spinning too fast for me to get off!

The summer is behind us – one way or another. It was LONG. I worked my regular schedule during July, and for most of August I worked every other day which worked well for us. I tried to do day trips with the kids but of course the summer came to an end with me feeling like I didn't get done half the things I'd wanted to. O well.
T has started at her new school here in town and it seems to be going ok although she's not very forthcoming when I ask her questions about it. Y is in 2nd grade and loving it! In September, T turned 15, Y turned 7 and I turned……..ahem……12? E is very disgruntled that everyone's having birthdays but him. He even picked up the cat recently and started singing the song, "……happy birthday dear CAAA-AAAAT…." Funny boychik! LOL
Work for me has been high stress for me for the last few months. Big projects and deadlines…….I barely have time for bathroom breaks and of course zero time for personal stuff. I hope the pressure will come to an end sometime soon but it's not looking too good. They fired my best friend here at work so part of the source of the pressure I'm under came from the fact that some of what she was doing subsequently landed on my desk. Her replacement started on Sept. 6 but they have her working on other stuff now so she's not able to help me with sharing my workload so much.
DH has been doing a stock market investment course to learn how to "play" and he just started another property investment course so he's out every week on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. That's fine with me. Gets him out of the house, out of my hair and allows me to get on with what I need to do with the kids in MY time and in MY way.
DH's oldest daughter had her 2nd – a boy - on Y's birthday!
DH's uncle and his lady friend were here recently, visiting from Australia. They traveled around and didn't stay with us, thank goodness! We were invited to DH's sister's house for a large family gathering so the uncle could see everyone. O how I hate family gatherings! I have nothing in common with his extended family. Their lives are so very different to mine. Hard to find something in common to talk about that we can both relate to. Very uncomfortable. 
Then DH's OTHER uncle (his mom's brother) arrived here this morning by ship from England and will be here for ONE day so DH and his uncle just came to my work to have lunch with me. The rest of today DH is spending playing chauffer - driving uncle around the country so he can see as much of the family as possible before he heads back to his ship which is docked in Haifa. I asked him whether he felt like he was in a different country. He said no not really although he made one very interesting comment. He said something about how even though all the signs are in Hebrew - street signs, shop signs, etc. - and he can't read them, even so it makes him feel like he's home. Very sweet. Yes, Uncle Gordon. You ARE home.
About 2 weeks ago on Weds. night I went to bed around 10 pm. DH was on the computer until late. He woke me up at 11:15 pm, threw me a robe and said the air raid sirens had gone off for real. He ran to wake T up, then he and I each snatched a little kid from bed and we ran out of the apartment into the stairwell. Our building is older and none of the apartments has its own bomb shelter. Newer apartments do – one room of the house is reinforced against rockets with special doors and windows that hermetically seal. We stood in the stairwell for 2 minutes then put the kids back to bed. We heard later that a rocket did fall in the city of Ashdod (about 30 minute drive from us). That's nothing new but we've never ever had the sirens go off in Rehovot before. Ah, yes. Fun fun. A good opportunity to drill, I suppose. I can't imagine going through that a few times a night like people who live in some areas do.
We just came through about a month of holidays with very few work days. It was nice to have the time off to be with the kids. We mostly just hung out at home and took it easy but we did take the kids to the nice, big zoo in Jerusalem (J-m).
About a week and a half ago we started potty training E and thankfully he caught on in about 2 days. At least with peeing. He's really good about telling me when he needs to pee and being a boy, if we're out and about and he needs to go, I can generally find a tree or a bush for him to water. Pooping, however, is a whoooooole 'nuther ball game! Not quite there yet.
Now it's soap box time.......why in G-d's name do the media and politicians keep yapping about the probability of a military strike against Iran?????? I mean, COME ON. Hasn't anyone ever heard of an important little something called "the element of surprise"?? Just because you've got Internet and FB and Twitter and YouTube and an entire smorgasbord of media outlets of various kinds available to you, doesn't mean you have to USE them! Is nothing confidential/top secret any more?? We might as well just hang out the biggest "WE'RE COMING TO GET YOU!" sign we can find so they can a) hide/cover up their nuclear weapon making facilities and b) give them time to decide what they're going to do about us. I am so disgusted/annoyed I could spit.
I don't know what else has occurred since I last wrote. Life is just crazy busy - always. I'll keep this short and sweet this time.
Till next time…..

1 comment:

  1. Well, it's good to read an update from you! I've been wondering what's up with you. Things are crazy here as well.

    ReplyDelete