Sunday, February 6, 2011

Feeling Younger

Thursday was (another) crazy day. Remember the head CT appointment that we had last week that we arrived at only to find out the CT machine was out of order? So I rescheduled for this Thursday. We had to be at the hospital in Rishon at 7:10 am! So Wednesday night I picked T up from school so we could get an early start. She and I got up at 5:30 and were out of the house by 6:30 Thursday morning. We got to the hospital 10 minutes late, waited 45 minutes and she had the procedure done. In the waiting room there was a huge placard explaining the procedure and what to expect. She read about the intravenous iodine injection that she would have to do and nearly walked out! She does NOT handle discomfort or pain well AT ALL. I started laughing. I told her it was no worse than a blood test and I said, "If you think THIS hurts, what are you going to do when you have a baby? You can't walk out THEN." She gave a weak half-smile at that.

Anyway, I held her hand through the injection and the CT only took about 4 minutes. Then I drove her back to school.

Thursday night I had to be BACK at the school at 5 pm b/c she had her mid-year report card presentation that the parents were invited to. She got her report card and to tell you the truth, I was expecting worse. Plenty of room for improvement. But still.....

*************
I stopped coloring my hair when I got pregnant with E about 3 years ago and I am quite grey now - approx. 50%. My grey hair didn't really bother me but T was mortified by it and was always bothering me about going back to coloring it. On Thursday night on the way home from her school we stopped off to do the food shopping for Shabbat and she headed down the hair care aisle and started in on me again about it. I wasn't too keen on the idea but then she looked me right in the eye and said, "You'll feel younger." My o so wise daughter. She has a point there. She's becoming aware of the psychology of these things. The hair color was on sale (2nd box 50% off) so I bought two and did the transformation on Friday morning and I have to say I like it. I don't know that I feel younger but it was definitely a pick-me-up.

*************
Every now and again I become super aware of how shallowly I - and most of us, I suspect - breathe. Breaths that barely keep us alive. And when I become aware of this, I make a conscious choice to take huge lungfuls of air and am amazed at good it feels. Why don't we breathe like that ALL the time?

No comments:

Post a Comment