Monday, February 7, 2011

It's the Little Things......

After having lived here for 16+ years I do still wake up and have "wow" days. Where the "rightness" of being here is blinding. But those days are getting fewer and farther between as time goes by. I have found that the longer I am here, the smaller the irritants are.

In the beginning, it's not knowing the language. It's the not knowing your way around. It's not understanding the banking system or the school system or having to start over making friends.

I feel like I'm as good as I'm ever going to be at all that stuff.

I'll tell you what my latest irritant is. It's the grocery carts here where ALL FOUR WHEELS SWIVEL!

I mean, REALLY. Whose idea was THAT? (I wouldn't like to tell you what I'd do to him if I came across him.) What kind of sense does this make? I'll tell you. It permits your average Israeli shopper to be as horrendous a shopping cart driver as they are a car driver. It permits them to see something off over on the OTHER side of the aisle that he wants and to go chasing off after it while dragging his shopping cart half way with him so that it's now positioned perpendicularly ACROSS the aisle thereby blocking the flow of traffic in both directions. But hey. He got his orange juice/garinim (roasted sunflower seeds)/black coffee/cookies/celery/hummus/what-have-you and that's the Main Thing.  I'm telling you, those carts have a mind of their own and should come with a complimentary chiropractor. Every time I try to manoever a full cart to the car I throw my back out. Geesh! But as I was saying, I am now 16+ years wiser and have come to the conclusion that I cannot GO grocery shopping alone. I have to take someone with me - one to push, one to pull - so I don't do myself bodily harm trying to drive one of these things.

But hey. Maybe I SHOULD throw my back out, sue the company that makes the shopping carts and make my millions that way?

See you. Going shopping.......

No comments:

Post a Comment