Monday, February 28, 2011

Good Things

What a week last week was! I haven't had such a good week in a LONG time and I'm still on a high.

As previously mentioned, I was home last Monday because E had an eye infection and could not go to gan (daycare). My friend and co-worker phone me up at home that day saying she had "news". I asked if it was good or bad and she said, "WOULD I CALL YOU UP AT HOME IF IT WAS BAD????" Haha. OK. She forwarded me an email that the CEO had sent out to all employees saying that at the end of May the company is paying for employees and spouses to go to Amsterdam for a long weekend - Thursday through Sunday!!!! No kids allowed. DH and I have not been away without the kids since we got married 8 1/2 years ago. We were scrambling to think of who we could ask to watch them for four days as neither grandmother is physically capable of it. It looked like we were going to have to give up on going but I asked my DD14 if she would be willing to stay home from school to look after them and I asked my Mom if she would stay over those 4 days just so there will be an adult in the house. Between the two of them they should manage. We will pay DD14 something for her efforts. So it looks like we're going. Hurrah!

Then my Mom forwarded to me the FB profile pages of two cousins (sisters) from my Dad's side of the family that I haven't seen or had contact with since I was......three? Four? I wrote to both and the older sister and I have been going back and forth re-getting to know each other, sharing pics, memories, catching up, etc. Fun!

I won't bore you with all the twists and turns but as a result of finding this cousin and thanks to FB, I also literally "found" a half-sister of mine (Dad's daughter by his first wife) that I have been looking for off and on for 10 years or so! It's a long story and I won't say too much at this time as we are still getting to know each other but I'm in love with what and who I found and am astonished at how well she "fits" into the family. I guess there's a lot to say for genes!

I am really wondering about the timing of all of this which comes on the heels of my decluttering rampage last Monday. Is the universe trying to tell me something? Maybe if we get rid of all the excess baggage and materialism it makes room for the universe to give you what you REALLY want/need?

Last night after I got home from work, I took the kids to the park until it got dark. At one point Y asked if she could take her shoes off and I said no. I was getting cold so I started rounding them up to take them home and Y asked if she could stay a little longer by herself (which I have only recently started letting her do). I agreed and went home with Effie. The park is one apartment building away from our building - almost literally downstairs. She comes home when she gets cold or hungry. Yet when she did turn up at home, she had taken her shoes off and was holding them! I was disappointed that she disobeyed me and sent her to her room. I told her she could come out when she apologized to me for not listening. Eventually she came out and apologized and I gave her a hug. I said, "Do you remember what happened to Little Red Riding Hood?" She said, "The wolf ate her." I said, "That's right. Because she didn't listen to her Ima (mother), did she?" She got the point. I thought that was a rather clever analogy myself.......well done me!

My Mom has as a decorative piece a huge conch shell that her father brought her from one of his many travels round the world. When we go to my Mom's, my kids like to get it down and listen to the "ocean". Last time we were there, DH got in on the fun by listening to his "shell phone", as he put it:


My boychik has had an affinity for balls since he was very little and is incredibly good for his age at throwing it and kicking it. He really amazes me! This is him bashing a beach ball around in the entry way to our building about 6 weeks ago. He wasn't even 2 yet.



Last night I crashed even before the kids. Now that is scary! I am not a high energy person - especially when it's cold in the house and dark outside early - but that is ridiculous. We are set to change the clocks back to daylight savings time at the end of March. I CAN'T WAIT! I hope once it's staying light later and warms up some that I will have more energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment