Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Caffeine

Hi. My name's Avigayil and I'm addicted to caffeine. In fact, as far as I'm concerned, if someone would just inject it straight into my eyeballs I could die happy.

I know coffee isn't good for you and I keep telling myself I need to cut it out. But I. LOVE. IT.! And now the company I work for has installed an espresso machine in the meeting room for the use of the employees. O HAPPY DAY! Oooops. I mean OH DEAR! Now we have a new toy at work that involves caffeine the chances of me cutting out coffee are -.0000000000999999.

In the winter I will have at most 2 cups of coffee a day. In the summer, not more than one, if that. So I tell myself that's not too bad but I know it is. A) I know it contributes to an overly-acidic body which throws one's PH balance out of whack and B) it leaches one's bones of calcium thereby heading one in the direction of osteoporosis. Not exactly selling points. Sigh. Why does everything tasty in the food world have to be bad for you?

Coffee has become my brother's side business/hobby. He spent 5 years in Israel and became a fan of what the Israelis call "botz" (transl: mud) or Turkish coffee. The kind that leaves you with a thick, yucky layer of gritty sludge at the bottom of your mug (but that also contains mega quantities of caffeine - hurrah!). My brother now has a coffee roasting mail order business. He brings in all these exotic types of coffee beans, roasts and grinds them and will mail them to you.

If there are any other coffee addicts out there, I highly recommend his coffees. A year ago I flew from here to L.A. to spend one night with him and his family and I must say that having just come off of an 18-hour flight with 2 young kids, I chose the right night to spend with the Caffeine King himself. After three cups of his coffee(s), I felt like I wouldn't need to sleep again. Ever.

His web site can be viewed here: http://www.wcrcompany.com/. And check out his Facebook page here https://www.facebook.com/pages/West-Coast-Roasting-Company/167594755668 for updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment